Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Thunk.

***This post was written late February. Keep this in mind as you read. In addition, there are several more posts I've written over the last three months (not posted here yet) documenting my experience. I will be posting new ones daily, so check back often if you'd like to hear the whole story up till now!
If you want to hear the story of how we found out, click here (the first blog in this series)

*(Note to reader: Please engage sarcasm mode in brain in order to successfully understand next sentence.)
You know what's fun about pregnancy?
Dropping stuff.
I am a professional ballet dancer on hiatus due to the mini-person living inside my uterus (who, by the way, has been getting a little taste of the music and movement of ballet already by me continuing to take class. Which is cool, because they say this mini-person can hear at 10 weeks which was last week and how cool that the mini-person can already hear the piano music! But THEN I read something last night about it being 23 weeks. What?!? So much for trying not to yell and curse so much in Denver rush hour traffic). I am used to making my body achieve weird and unusual things, sometimes while standing on the tips of my toes-- including but not limited to spinning, being lifted above a man's head in various positions, and balancing for more than two seconds with my leg behind me. Hopefully reasonably turned out.

In rehearsal for Nutcracker as Clara (Peter Strand as Prince), December 2013
For quite a few weeks now, I have noticed that I have gotten REALLY good at something else, and it's not balancing on pointe while sustaining another life inside of me.
I would say I have begun to drop 50% of the things I attempt to pick up/carry/utilize for everyday life. My phone. The package of cookies. All my forks.
A few short months ago, I was able to spin on one foot while holding a really heavy Nutcracker doll. And keep on the music (most of the time).

That Nutcracker really was quite heavy. Ufff. 
And now... I struggle to keep hold of my fork. Which I only expected myself, by the way, to carry from the drawer to the table in order to eat my tenth meal of the day.

No comments: