Saturday, April 5, 2014

It Gives "Pull In Your Stomach" a Whole Different Perspective...

***This post was written very early March. Keep this in mind as you read. In addition, there are several more posts I've written over the last few months (about half not posted here yet) documenting my experience. I will be posting new ones daily, so check back often if you'd like to hear the whole story up till now!
If you want to hear the story of how we found out, click here (the first blog in this series)

As a professional ballet dancer (on hiatus... for now), much of my time has been spent pulling in my center, pulling up my legs, pointing my feet, and other dancer concerns.
Today as I took class, I realized it would become harder and harder to maintain my natural, um... "strong center." My little blue skirt wasn't hanging as, ahhhh, STRAIGHT as it has in the past. My good friend came up to me and said, "I can kind of tell a little bit now!" Meaning, she can see a beginning of a poof.
As a normally slim person, this is kind of throwing me for a loop. The biggest change has been just poofing a bit in the center. It is definitely one of the oddest parts of this overall weird-ass experience of pregnancy.
Soon, I'm not going to be able to "pull in my stomach" any longer at all!
Additionally, I'm praying dancing consistently will help in that my body will adjust to the added "off center-ness" week by week. Adagio (mostly balancing on one leg while doing crazy difficult things with your other leg and arms) has been somewhat of a joke lately. Hopefully I won't end up falling over and embarrassing myself (although I have done that in the past, non-pregnant... so my fellow dancers probably wouldn't be too shocked).
I am MORE than excited I am still able to get through a professional level ballet class (although admittedly not at my same energy level as before), and I hear that regular exercise helps with a good delivery. So off to class I will go, with my growing poof. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Katharine said...

MY friend said her best nutcracker solo of them all was when she was carrying a wee baby inside. There's an adjustment period but it can work to your advantage. My dance teacher taught till she delivered. It can be done. Do you think you'll go right back to dance after the baby comes?

Gina said...

Definitely, Katharine! I'm hoping to dance all the way to delivery if possible too.

Anonymous said...

The weirdest thing is when you can't use your abdominals anymore! You learn to be creative with how to accomplish the 99% of dance that normally requires them. But don't be discouraged and keep dancing! -Elise