Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Long Awaited Confession at the Nail Salon

First off... If you've never seen this video (which I can't imagine that you haven't), you must watch it NOW.


I have been going to the same nail salon, near one of my workplaces, for about five years. And every single time, without fail, they ask me when I'm going to have a baby. After of course, asking if I'm married. When I tell them no, I don't have a baby yet because I'm a ballet dancer and fitting in a tutu is kind of a job requirement, the same conversation always ensues. They first say, "Oh that why you so skinny! I wish I was that skinny!" while patting their stomach or pinching their side (which are actually very slim). Then, I just smile and look awkward, because what do you say to that?
It's kind of amusing how acquring pretty nails sometimes requires you open your personal issues to the more friendly staff. And the even friendlier staff like to share their own lives too. "I have three kid by the time I'm 30," is something I'd sometimes hear, "...and my daughter still live with me! She likes clothes so she spend money on that instead of house." Yep, I did hear that last part at one point.
So the other day, I visited the salon because I desperately needed a manicure. They assigned me one of the quieter ladies so I thought I might get away with not discussing my family choices (especially because I was wearing a longer wrap jacket which sort of hides the belly). No such luck.

not my nails, but I'm thinking now I might have to try this.

The very friendly lady who always harassed me about having babies walks by and says, "You still dancing?"
Here we go, I thought. "Not as much," I said, shaking my head, waiting for the axe to fall.
"Why?" she asked, then half a second later her face lit up. She pats her stomach, taking a couple steps toward me, clearly asking if I was with child.
"Yep," I said, smiling (let's get this over with).
The mild pandemonium that ensued was pretty entertaining, and also pretty fun. They asked me how far along I was, when I was due, and all the other typical questions. I was happy to finally be able to give them the answer they clearly had been wanting for years. They also shared some stories about their pregnancies and that was fun to hear as well.
And I'm willinng to bet a good deal of money that after I have the mini-human, the next question will be, "When you have second baby?"

No comments: