Monday, March 31, 2014

My Skinny Jeans Don't Fit Anymore

***This post was written late February. Keep this in mind as you read (and in case you were wondering... NONE of my jeans fit anymore at the point I'm at this morning). In addition, there are several more posts I've written over the last three months (not posted here yet) documenting my experience. I will be posting new ones daily, so check back often if you'd like to hear the whole story up till now!
If you want to hear the story of how we found out, click here (the first blog in this series)***

Yesterday morning, I opened up my jeans drawer and spotted my favorite skinny jeans. I had not attempted to wear them since I found out I was pregnant. Pulling them out, the thought "They'll probably still fit" skipped through my hormone influenced brain.
Put my right leg through. My foot caught on the ankle hole but I pushed it on through. "That always happens," I thought. Tried to pull up the right leg. A little snug. "Well, I DID just wash and dry them," my over-tired brain from waking up to pee twice a night thought, and proceeded to push my left leg through.
That's where things got a little more difficult.
Trying to wiggle myself into the pants, I had to hop around my room at least 54% more than normal. I began to think something was a little off. I finally managed to get the beloved sausage casings up my legs. "It's fine," I thought, "It's just because they are not stretched out yet from the wash." 
Then I tried to zip them up.
If you will, imagine me sarcastically raising my eyebrows and uttering the word "BAH" (an old Italian family term meaning "oh GREAT"- typically said in a highly sarcastic tone as well).  My favorite Gap jeans, so soft and able to reassuringly hug my legs like my ballet tights, would not zip up without me REALLY REALLY sucking it in. And then, even then,  I was extremely uncomfortable and unable to breath. I could sense the heartburn lurking around the corner almost immediately.
I don't even want to talk about trying to button them.

My beloved skinny jeans. This was a year ago, with my dance partner in Once Upon a Mattress, rockin the Gangnam Style dance and enjoying being able to fit in my favorite jeans.

Moving on! So, I decided NOT to wear the painted-on garment. I dug out another pair of jeans that were looser in the waist area, and used a rubber band to secure the (still tighter than normal) button closure. Apparently this is a common jeans fix for women expecting, until the inevitable day arrives they must go out shopping for-- GASP-- maternity jeans!
This day of maternity jeans purchasing has not come for me yet. However I caved in today and ordered a cute cotton fold over maternity skirt from Old Navy. I had not as of yet bought anything labelled "maternity" because I've been wanting to wait until my 2nd trimester to make sure most things are under control with the baby health-wise. I also ordered a new pink hoodie, normal sized. My belly is just still a bit poofier than normal and I'll be waiting a while to order full on maternity tops.
And so I bid my favorite jeans farewell (along with some of my tighter fit leotards which have now been banished to the bottom of my leotard drawer)-- for now. But I'm coming  back for you later! Consider that a promise! *menacing wink*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Embrace the leggings! They stretch with you! Also I have not purchased anything labeled maternity just larger sizes. However at a certain point I discovered the amazing comfort of high waisted leggings. Have fun formulating a new wardrobe! -Elise

Gina said...

Hi Elise! I have discovered leggings, but I have found that the maternity ones are most comfortable. I have always had issues GI-wise with tightness across belly and it's the same now... Love the high waisted ones! And admittedly LOVING THE CRAP out of my maternity jeans and skirts. So comfortable. Not sure I can go back after this ;)

eliseblog said...

I also never went with a belly band. In my last month here the belly is getting big and heavy, but my back feels fine and I still don't feel the need for a belly band. Everyone grows and expands in a different way. Empire waist items have also become my friend! The most uncomfortable thing for me is any waist band that pushes on the belly. Since the baby keeps growing and growing each month I tried to avoid having to always buy new clothes as I got bigger and leggings and empire waist dresses/tunics are the ones that have grown with me 3 months to 8 months.