Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Real Bump

"Wow, you finally have a baby bump!"
So, apparently I'm "showing" now. There's no hiding behind baggy clothes anymore (in fact, the baggier the item is, the bigger I look because it extends the bump down further than it really is... thereby making me into a human tent). I find the more form fitting the garment, the slimmer I look. For example, in ballet class I removed my flowy tunic-type tank top and just went with my leotard and shorts-- and found that I look significantly LESS pregnant.

Me at 16.5 weeks (about 3 weeks ago)
The comments are coming in at a faster rate than before, which is expected. What isn't expected is that I'm getting different types of comments regarding my size. One day I find people say that I have a big bump, and the next people say I look tiny for almost 20 weeks. Team"Big Bump" seem to be people that know me and know my body-- i.e., people who see me almost daily and have for years, in ballet class. The leotard is not the most, um, FORGIVING thing to wear when gaining weight shall we say.
I went to the dentist the other day and they found out I am about 19 weeks along. The tech promptly said, "Wow you look great for 20 weeks." Not exactly sure what that means, but was nice to hear. The tailor I brought some pants into noticed my bump and said, "You have baby?!" I nodded yes, and she said, "Must be TINY baby!" At first it was confusing to hear such insanely different comments, but understandable when I think about how well each of these people know me and what I normally look like. My older ballet students recently told me they could tell way back in February that something was up-- props to them for being so observant!
Thankfully I am used to people randomly commenting on my body so I barely bat an eyelash when I get these comments. I know they bother a lot of pregnant women (and I am not ruling out the possibility that in the future I might get tired of it all), but for now it's fine with me. I don't even mind when people touch my belly (I'm a physical touch person). Somehow it makes me feel like this baby is already loved and cared for by others.
And that's a good feeling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last nine months I have been told soooo many times how "good" I look. I'm never quite sure how to react. I'm not sure if they expect me to look really bad and tired or if they just feel that at my gigantic size I need some encouragement? Anyway I guess it is nice to be told I look good no matter what! -Elise

Gina said...

Agreed! I didn't know what to say besides, "Thanks!"

Blue_lamp_art said...

You look beautiful!