Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I Felt That.

Current mini-human status: 20 weeks along. He or she is apparently the length of a banana (what!?!) and a little over half a pound. I'm feeling movement coming from inside my uterus now as well... All part of this weird ass experience they call pregnancy. Below are my personal phases of feeling movement so far (more to come, from what I hear):

Phase One: "Oh, that was just gas."
Phase Two: "That felt a little different from gas. Was that something? Nah, probably not."
Phase Three: "Ok, that definitely was super strong and weird... I think that was a kick. But I'm probably just imagining it and wanting it to be a kick. Never mind."
Phase Four: "WHAT. WAS. THAT."

Phase Four is mainly where I'm living right now, because I've learned to ignore the little flutters, being a self proclaimed realist. Also, let's be honest: Who wants to get all emotional over something you ate half an hour ago?

Half the time I feel something I am analyzing how far it was over to the side of my abdomen, which I understand is where some sections of my intestines have moved. If it's fairly close to the side I often blow it off as digestion. More often these days, however, I get the little flutters and what feels like taps (like when someone taps you on the shoulder) near the center. As we speak I'm feeling some little taps near my belly button, but just a little below it. I just ate, which is often when I feel stuff happen. Especially when I'm eating chocolate.

Not my belly, image found on Pinterest-- so funny, especially being at 20 weeks: halfway done.

Many moms tell me they felt this was the time they worried less about the baby because they could tell they were moving around. I'll agree with that one. Along with this though is when you don't feel movement for a while, then you worry a bit. Apparently my placenta is placed directly in front, which my Dr. said will decrease my ability to feel "consistent" movement.

Still- kind of an "alien" experience, to feel someone completely OTHER doing little kicks and punches and somersaults inside of me.

No comments: