Monday, April 14, 2014

Capable

Jennifer and Robert Mason, photo by Richard Calmes

Isn't this amazing? We don't see a lot of images of pregnant women dancing out there, and far fewer in ballet. Pointe shoes paired with a baby belly are virtually impossible to find. Which is why I get so excited by this picture above (Jennifer and Robert Mason, photo by Richard Calmes).
As a dancer, I get my heart and soul's life blood from dance and movement/exercise. My body has always functioned better when I'm "in shape" or exercising through the art form of dance. My ballet classes, rehearsals, and what not keep me sane and physically healthy.
I have done a ton of research in what is safe as far as exercise during pregnancy, and what I found surprised me-- that I am, my body is, capable of doing much more than what the "stop doing everything normal, you are a baby oven for nine months so don't do ANYTHING" stereotype says. I have had amazing examples around me for models of fitness during pregnancy (one friend who danced on pointe till the day she delivered!).

This is me after ballet class a few weeks ago (approx. 14.5 weeks pregnant).
I am listening to my body and my Dr., and also continuing in what I'm capable of, for both myself and the baby. Turns out that a good amount of exercise is way better than staying on the couch (for both parties), not to mention facilitates an easier labor process... That's enough motivation to keep me in class for sure.
There are a lot of myths out there, but also a lot of truth. I'm grateful for the truth-- and will be continuing to listen to the fact that pregnant women are capable of a lot more than even they think! The truth literally has set me free in this case, which brings me so much joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hardest thing about advice is that every pregnancy story is different and every birth story is different. Each person is unique in their abilities, limitations and physical development. In truth there is no right answer. Every doctor and nurse I talked to said physical activity is a good thing! It has been the regular folks who worry about physical activity and pregnancy. This fear comes from the unknown and since each person is unique the factors for each pregnancy are unknown! Listening to your body is the best and luckily as a dancer this is a natural awareness. It is OK to challenge your body and when limitations present themselves don't let them discourage. Enjoy the beauty of dancing a constant duet with your baby! -Elise

Gina said...

Very true. I totally understand that for each person their abilities are different. For me, I was told so much that I shouldn't dance at my normal level, and it saddened me. So when I did my research and found out that wasn't true it was like Christmas morning! I think every woman should do this research and find out what she's capable of, I wonder how many people disable themselves even before asking!