Thursday, April 5, 2012

Confessions of a Deactivated Facebooker: Withdrawals


At first glance, the above image is kind of amusing-- yet there is a small grain of truth to it. Do you find yourself consistently going to FB when you are stressed, tired, grumpy, or just wanting to tune out?

Confession time: I did. This whole process has gotten me thinking about dependence on things. And yes, I do realize that there are far, far worse things out there compared to FB. Ones that will literally end your life if you don't get them taken care of. Additionally, I won't go as far as to say FB was a full blown addiction like it would be with alcohol or another substance to me, but it was getting there. It had become such a distraction in my life that it was affecting other things in my life, other relationships, and taking up entirely too much time. Loved ones, including my most loved one Casey, would comment on how much time I was spending on it. After my deactivation, I started feeling some strange things. I began some research on withdrawal symptoms from various substances, and it kind of shocked me when I learned I have been experiencing some very mild forms of a few of the symptoms of alcohol detox withdrawal:




Casey and I in Oregon around 2007, pre-engagement 

I want to be vulnerable about all this, because I feel like I'm not alone. I wonder how many other people are in my boat, or would be if they disconnected from FB for a while. I also want to share that this last week and a half has amazed me. It's been such a time of self reflection and discovery figuring out what I tend to do when my security blanket is taken away. Luckily I have gotten to connect (face to face!) with people offline more than before and it's been simply wonderful. I shared more about that here: (http://eslingers.blogspot.com/2012/03/day-3-of-deactivation-unexpected-gifts.html). I feel my heart has been far more present for everything, especially people. And it's only been just over a week and a half.


One of my best friends and I, who live in separate states but keep in touch by phone

I'll end this post by saying: My deactivation is not permanent. I am considering this time a period to disconnect from the way I've depended on FB in the past, and once I feel I can go back in a healthier way I will. I just don't know when that will be. In the meantime I'll be blogging about it.

Please share! Have you ever felt withdrawals from anything? What was that like? Do tell.


2 comments:

rosechar said...

Gina, I am participating in two of these problems presently, I am watching NOVA on PBS, while writing to you (email and facebook and checking emails=computer). I am also exhausted. I understand what you are talking about so well. What I have found from freeing myself from these overwhelming needs, is that I find time for my spiritual life, which is oh so much more important than any little email I might get or give. Yet there is a balanced need for communication, and finding that balance is so hard sometimes, and easy at others. Asking myself about loneliness, and what might be causing it, could be significant. Lots of love Gina. pr

Gina said...

I love what you just said. The root is always the best place to look... I agree also about balance. It is a tricky balance for sure.