Monday, April 2, 2012

Why Facebook is like a donut hole.

Several people have asked me, "Why are you blogging about your deactivation from Facebook? Isn't that just exchanging one social media for another?" Yes, at first glance it would seem that way.

But in my case it's not. For me writing is a form of artistic and emotional expression, much like dance and theater. I love words, and I love creating something tangible that communicates exactly what I'm thinking, feeling, or seeing. Some people paint, some people form things out of clay, but words are often my chosen medium when I need to vent or articulate anything.


FB statuses are like donut holes. They are cute, delicious, and give you just a taste of that delightful sugar and pastry. They are just fun to eat. But I have to ask the question: Why not just have a whole donut? Do you know anyone that can stop at just one donut hole? I can't, and I dare you to try.

Don't get me wrong-- donut holes have their place. In my opinion, Twitter is the epitome of donut hole communication. I have an account myself and love using it. It is really fun to think of one line zingers that make people laugh or think. But I would never just tweet, and here's why: Most days, I want the whole donut instead of a thousand donut holes. I am a writer at heart. I love writing long emails, journalling, and having long face to face conversations. I love using my words, and using them well.  This isn't the main reason I have taken a break from FB (for the reasons I've temporarily deactivated, see some of my previous posts below). But now that I am off of FB I am forced to hone my craft, to articulate in a way that goes deeper into the heart of what I'm trying to say. To have the whole donut instead of just a donut hole. And I love that.

Great. Now I am hungry for a maple bar...

No comments: