Sunday, April 15, 2012

Click In.

Today I clicked in. 

Have you ever had the experience of "clicking in" with someone(s) else? For example: You are in a conversation with someone you barely know, and happen to be completely on the same page on a certain thing-- and it's like your brains are gelling together? Or maybe you have a running buddy, and you have a run where you are pacing each other exactly. It's almost like you become one mind and one thought for a short period of time.

Clair de Lune with Delusions of Grandeur 2011 (I am fourth in from the L)
I love clicking in with people. I have had the enormous privilege of experiencing this a fair amount in my artistic life. In the studio or onstage, it's often required for dancers to do exactly the same steps to exactly the same counts. There's sometimes a magical moment where you feel, as a group or maybe just with another dancer, you are completely in sync and feel as if you become one unit. There's a feeling of connection and creating something bigger than yourself. This picture is an example of where I felt that clicking in with five other dancers in performance ("Clair de Lune," performed with Delusions of Grandeur Productions last summer).

Lately I have felt this clicking in while singing on the worship band at church. Most of you know that I have had much more experience dancing than singing, so when this happens for me vocally I get really excited. The last couple weeks, including some moments today, have been very inspiring and moving for me. During certain moments and certain songs, I feel almost as if I become one with the entire band and especially the other vocalists. It lifts me up out of my earthly experience and becomes an otherworldly moment. These beautiful moments are the cherries on top of the ice cream sundae of my life.

Does this ever happen to you? When do you feel you click in with other people?

No comments: