Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Staying the Change

Apparently, I suck at change. 

Life changes. Period. It changes constantly whether those changes happen to be good or bad. Here's Gina's latest issue: Every time a ballet season comes to an end, my brain can't seem to wrap itself around the fact that no longer is my life centered around  class, rehearsal, and performance three-plus days a week. At least for a time.



Ballet Ariel is on lay off right now (or "on break," which is normal after a run of performances) and therefore my schedule is all jacked up. I don't have that baseline of regular "forced" dancing and artistic outlet. It becomes ten times harder to get out of bed, put on a leotard and tights, and drag myself to a class I'm not, by signed contract, required to be at. I pretty much always enjoy myself once there, and especially afterwards when those amazing endorphins kick in. I love dancing, I love that I can be artistic and exercise my heart and soul and body at the same time. It's just getting to class is the problem.

I get the feeling I am not alone in this struggle with change. Why does my brain get confused when this happens every year around exactly the same time? Some patterns repeat themselves so many times in my life you'd think I'd have it down. 

I don't have a deep "ah-ha" way to end this blog post. All I can say is I have learned how much of a creature of habit I am and how I am not good at "staying the change." Yes, I just made up that phrase. I have a few friends who are really, really good at dealing with change and get excited about it. I suspect they are "P's" on the Myers-Briggs Personality spectrum (more spontaneous than structured). I am the opposite of P apparently.

How do you deal with change? Do you get excited about it, or do you sometimes struggle with it like I do?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that change is the devil (figuratively speaking). I don't like it and at times flat out refuse it...But with my life I am forced to deal with change more than I want to. For the most part I do okay with it. I'm learning to be more flexible. :)

Anonymous said...

I definitely have a hard time with change. I think most people do. It takes me a while to get adjusted. I think I am learning to go day by day, for example: I'm learning to be ok w/ things that I plan not getting done if they are really not needing to be done but just that I wanted them to be done, which helps when my day takes an unplanned shift.

Gina said...

Good to know I'm not the only one. Let's all get together and have a "change sucks" party :). we can eat chocolate and talk about things that stay the same :)