Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Rock Bottom.


Have you ever hit rock bottom? You have?... Several times? Wow. Come over here for a hug.

I feel you, friend. I feel you.

Here's the thing. Not many people ever share when they are at rock bottom, or even on their way down to it. I understand the positive sentiment of not spewing a bunch of negative garbage out there, but why do so many of us have the urge to present ourselves in the best light possible?

We don't post the unattractive pictures of us without makeup or with messy hair. We don't talk about the enormous and heart breaking fights with our husband/wife/best friend over something stupid. We certainly don't share about when we are feeling anxious/depressed/whatever. We don't share our weaknesses, because want to appear perfect.

Do you think this makes anyone involved feel better? I'm not suggesting we hang all our dirty laundry out for everyone to see. But would it be a bad thing to let people know we are human? That we have really bad days sometimes? For me personally, when someone shares that they don't have it all figured out, not even close, I breathe a huge sigh of relief. I love it when people share their struggles with me, because it proves that they struggle too. It helps me know that I'm not such a mess after all. They are just like me.

I'll go first: Today was a bad day-- a really, really bad day. A rock bottom kind of day, for several different reasons. A day where you just want to scream "ENOUGH!!!" over and over, and even when you do, it doesn't help. There are SO many things I don't have "figured out." I am not going to share the gory details (because this is a public forum, after all) but let's just say I HAVE had enough. At least for today.

But tomorrow is a new day.  And it might be just as sucky as today was. However. I am grateful for my friends, my husband, and for God's unending faithfulness to me. I know I'm going to be ok. I hope this post helps you know that not everyone, especially me, has it all (or even anything) figured out. And we are breakable, but fixable at the same time. My friends, may you be surrounded with people who can help pick up your pieces and hug you back together.

2 comments:

Elin Robinson said...

So sorry you had a yucky day. Praying for you :-)

Gina said...

Thanks Elin.