Sunday, May 27, 2012

Don't Quit Your Day Job

If you want to know what I do almost everyday in/for my day job, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EVMjnHFg-w&feature=relmfu

Most professional dancers who work for a ballet company are required to do a daily ballet class in order to maintain strength and work on technique. This is a glimpse into the daily life of the Royal Ballet (one of the best ballet companies anywhere), and their dancers are talented far above what I could ever dream to be... However, I share this link because many of the dance combinations, and the general layout of the class is extremely similar to what I experience in my work. This is a unique YouTube video because it features not just clips of a class, but their entire 1 hour, 15 minute class. If you make it through the whole thing, let me know and I'll buy you coffee. I say this because I don't know many people who will actually sit through the whole thing besides me and a couple other people.

Their talent is truly humbling and it was a huge treat today to sit down today and watch them work their way through an entire class, and to pick up on some of their good habits and technique. (I'd embed the video into the post, but it would take six months for it to download, so you get to watch it on YouTube.)


2 comments:

Toni Renee' said...

I liked that, thanks for posting! Couldn't stop watching. Love behind-the-scenes work. How do you keep all the moves in your head? I loved it when the instructor lady said something like: "Second, second, back, front, back, blah, blah, blah . . . " How exactly does one perform a "blah, blah, blah" ? :)

Gina said...

Hahah! Love it! I love especially that you "couldn't stop watching" :D. Blah blah blah means "more of the same", or in this case, lots of petit battements. That's when you move your foot back and forth from the front of your ankle to the back, really fast, lots of times.