Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bunhead.

"Hello, my name is Gina and I'm a bunhead."
"Hi, Gina..."

Addictions... There are good ones and bad ones. At the moment I am addicted to looking at videos and pictures of well known professional dancers. When this happens to an individual, the person is typically called a "bunhead." This is due to the fact ballet dancers wear their hair in buns.

photo by Gene Schiavone

The photo above is of a beautiful principal dancer in Raymonda (don't quote me on that, the website I found it on didn't specify-- but the headpiece makes me believe it's either Raymonda or La Bayadere). My purpose in posting this, however, is that it captures a moment of intense concentration to technique, and yet total commitment to character.  Not to mention the amazing arch on her standing foot.

In the last month I've been finding quite a lot of inspiration from watching dancers do their thing, and very well at that. Some names that come to mind are Svetlana Zakharova (Bolshoi Ballet and Teatro Alla Scala Principal Dancer), Marianela Nunez (Royal Ballet Principal), Darcey Bussell (former Royal Ballet Principal), and Roberto Bolle (Principal with American Ballet Theatre). These people were literally born to dance. Every movement of their bodies makes it clear that their muscles were made to create ballet positions and steps with grace and power.

Seeing the amazing talent of the above dancers inspires me to reach higher, to attain a level of technique and artistry I would not even know existed if I hadn't seen their videos or photos. And for this I am grateful.

2 comments:

Jessica Clayton said...

Can I still be a bunhead even though my hair isn't always in a bun...and when it is in a bun it falls out?? And can I please be a bunhead with you?? LOL :D

Gina said...

Duh of course!!! You are my main bunhead inspiration! Let's do another bunhead night soon!