Saturday, February 6, 2010

Oklahoma!


I have some news!!!

Here it comes...

Wait for it...

OKLAHOMA! WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAINS!!!!!

Or something like that.

Recently I auditioned for a local production of the musical "Oklahoma!" and am SO INSANELY EXCITED to tell you that I got the part I auditioned for, the dance lead, "Dream Laurey." (I haven't started rehearsals yet so I will let you know what the actual lyrics are when I find out...) I will basically be the stunt/ballet double of the female lead "Laurey." The musical requires a person able to perform a fairly advanced level of ballet, and waltz around with "Dream Curly," the stunt/dance double for her love interest.
My part exists because at some point in the story she becomes very interested in finding out what the future held for her as far as who her "true love" would be. So she, of course, sniffs something in a nondescript bottle which causes her to fall asleep and dream of who that might be. Like anyone else would. Makes total sense.
Regardless of that, I am happy the writers, Rodgers and Hammerstien, decided to have our curious little Laurey sniff her way into a drug induced dream. Because now I get to flit about onstage doing what I am trained to do-- ballet! What a concept! Some directors look for a "Laurey" who can act, sing, AND dance well enough to pull off the dream ballet sequence (instead of casting "Dream Laurey" and "Dream Curly" as separate people), but happily my director wanted a Dream Laurey that could do an advanced ballet solo. The shows are the last weekend of April and the first two weekends of May and I can't wait to start the rehearsal process. The fact I was chosen for this featured part is extra sweet for me, because last year I auditioned for the same role for a different theater company (I was actually asked to audition by the director specifically for this role because she knew I had ballet training). The outcome of that audition was that she didn't cast me in the show at all. It was a huge letdown. So landing this part is a pretty amazing thing for me.
Here's another bonus-- I have also been cast in the ensemble. This means I also get to sing and act again! It has been awhile since I was lucky enough to do this (I used to do quite a bit of theater/musical theater in college) and am excited to be able to branch out in the theater world once again!

2 comments:

Cat Hoemke said...

Oo! Didn't know about the acting and singing too! Don't suppose they need musicians in the pit??? Have a great time!

Andrea Rooks said...

Congrats on landing the awesome role! I'm so proud of you and wish I could see your performance. I'll make a point to rent the movie someday soon -- all I know about 'Oklahoma' is 'Surrey with a fringe on top' from 'When Harry Met Sally' (the DVD of which is on sale at Costco for $5)