Sunday, February 28, 2010

First Dream Ballet Rehearsal

So tonight was my first time being "Dream Laurey" (look back a few posts to learn what that is, if you are sitting there confused). The times I have watched the ballet on youtube (even the Hugh Jackman version, with Josefina Gabrielle) I have been impressed with how floaty, easy and free the dancing looks. I guess I didn't think about the fact that the whole dream sequence is upwards of ten minutes long. And I am dancing for a good chunk of that, onstage the whole time. Even being a dancer, I was fooled by the good acting of the dancers thinking "oh, this looks fun and maybe even easy."

Not really.

The easy part, that is.

Most of it is that I need to build up the stamina for that long of a piece, which will happen easily enough. A short description of what I do: There is a lot of partnering in it (which is my personal favorite) a sizeable solo for me, a trio with two other girls, and a couple other dances involving cowboys and then the scary Jud at the end (who throws me around and generally abuses me). All of the choreography is challenging and quite delightful. In one particular lift my partner basically flings me up to his shoulder, with me ending up balancing on my stomach, with my ankles crossed behind me and my back arched up in a nice swan-like pose. It could have been a scary experience, but I was prepped for that after learning one VERY terrifying lift with the ballet company (DTDT) last week. Everything happens for a reason, right, even terror???

All I'm saying is, I am having a blast and working with such encouraging, fun people. It's good to be in the world of musical theater once again.

No comments: