Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Late rehearsals

So far I've had three rehearsals for Oklahoma (all singing/music related) and I can proudly say I think my sight reading/vocal skills are coming back. Slowly. I sight read and blended my voice with at least 20 others everyday for two years back in college (not to mention in high school when I got to do "Little Shop of Horrors"-- so much fun!) and am remembering now all the challenges that came with that. Especially when you're the alto. If you are blessed with the range that allows you to be a soprano (wow those notes are high), the melody is often all yours. Rarely as an alto do you get the melody, but that's life, and once I get the notes by heart it'll seem like the harmony is the melody. In my own little world that is.
Last night we went till 9:30 pm rehearsing, first learning "Oklahoma" and "The Farmer and the Cowman"with the full cast, then "Out of My Dreams" with the women only. I was feeling really under the weather, but it is amazing what a fun theater experience ("yippy-yi", anyone??) will do for the stomach. Everyone's personality and energy is so dynamic and interesting. Not only that, but I am just blown away by the sheer amount of talent in that cast. Every one of the women could sing the lead (Laurey) and do it well. These are professionals, people. It is going to be a great show, get your tickets now, because it is likely to sell out (google "Oklahoma" at Lakewood Cultural Center if you are interested).

No comments: