Monday, February 15, 2010

Caffe.

Mmmmmm coffee. Or, in my case, mmmmm espresso (or as we say in Italia, mmmm buono, caffe). I lived in Florence for around two years (not consecutively but in total) and during my time there I found myself drinking at least three shots of caffe per day. For Italians, it is a lifestyle-- get up, go to the corner cafe, have a pastry and cappuccino for breakfast. After lunch? Straight shot of espresso. After dinner? Straight shot of espresso. And no, it does not keep them up. It does not even make them hyperactive buzzing little people that can't sit still. It didn't me either when I lived there, strangely. I just felt normal.
Here's my issue. Yesterday I had two lattes. Just two, mind you, with the caffe all diluted in milk even. My reward: My body staged a revolt (tummyache, etc) that rivaled the best laid attacks of the last three centuries. I thought, "What has changed in my life that I can't even handle two coffees a day? What is so different that allowed me to function normally on at least three there but not more than one here in the states?"
Is it cultural? Just a simple fact of my body adjusting to the amount of caffeine? How much coffee do you drink a day?

1 comment:

Cat Hoemke said...

this makes me want to get a cup of coffee now. In college quite a lot of bad coffee. Since then I like better coffee, but usually at the most 3 cups a day. 2 in the morning, one at night if we've got company. I've managed to cut back when I have to, but really I had at least one cup a day even through out my pregnancy with tobo. (hrm... maybe that's the problem.) ;)