Thursday, February 18, 2010

Grampa.

At around 2:30 am this morning, Anthony Lano passed on. He was my Grampa and the rock of our family, loyal, faithful, and steadfast. When anyone in our family needed a place to stay, he and Grams always opened up their house. They also never imposed a time limit on how long we could stay. He was a selfless giver, a patient grandfather (he taught me to drive!), and had the best dry sense of humor. If you weren't paying attention you might just miss one of his zingers.
He wasn't a loud man but his love for us was. I felt it in every one of his hugs and kisses (of which I got at least two everytime I saw him). I saw it in his eyes as he listened to us talk (and talk, and talk, and talk-- we're Italian, all right?).
I felt it everytime they helped me, or anyone in our family. We are connected like that, eventually we heard about how they stopped by/wrote yet another check/took someone out to lunch-- it's called "Tele-Lano." I felt his love every time he picked me up from ballet lessons when I didn't have a ride. I heard the love and pride in his voice in the background when he videotaped almost every one of my dance performances. There were so many of them-- but I literally can't think of one that he missed. He told me once that he noticed how graceful and beautiful my hands were when I danced. I will never forget that compliment.
I will miss Grampa everyday from here on out. His absence leaves a hole no one else can fill. I am so grateful for the love he poured into me, the years I got to spend with him, and the fact God gave him to ME for a Grampa. He didn't have to do that. What a special gift and relationship. I am forever changed because Anthony Lano was in my life for almost 32 years, and I will forever feel his love living on in my heart.

2 comments:

AllisonLynn said...

I'm so glad you blogged tonight. I intentionally stalked you to see if I could learn about your Grampa. He sounds like the ultimate Grampa: unconditional love, permeating pride in his family, soft strength. He sounds amazing!

Unknown said...

Aw... Gina. How you honored your grandpa! Yes, I noticed how he smiled as he watched you danced at this past Christmas party at his home.