Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Spaghetti and Vampires.

I know what you're thinking... "There's no way she's going to pull those two subjects together as neatly as she hopes to." Just wait.
When something amazing happens to me I like to share it with you all. And something very amazing happened last night. As some of you know, I lived in Italy for a bit in my early twenties, where I gained appreciation for some mind-blowingly delicious food. I also learned how to not dress like a sloppy American (no offense to Americans... it's just in Italy I realized a baggy t-shirt and shorts don't really cut it as "fashionable" or flattering to my frame at all. Come to think of it I don't really know anyone that looks good in what I used to wear pre-Italy. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME I WAS DRESSING LIKE ONE OF THOSE BROWN PAPER BAGS THEY USED TO GIVE YOU AT THE SUPERMARKET??!?).
One of the pastas I learned how to make authentically was spaghetti alla carbonara, which deliciously integrates pancetta (bacon's exquisite second cousin twice removed), eggs, and parmesan cheese folded into its al dente spaghetti noodles. Last night I successfully made this dish for the first time since I've been back from Florence. Unless you are allergic to joy, I don't see how you could NOT like this dish. Even if you are allergic to gluten you can go get the gluten free pasta and make this dish and be happy.
Just in case I've convinced you, here is an image of the food from heaven, and the recipe that is so similar to what my Italian friends taught me that I can't taste the difference:

Heaven in a bowl- spaghetti alla carbonara

Link to the recipe by Tyler Florence: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spaghetti-alla-carbonara-recipe.html
Still wondering how I'm going to tie in vampires? Well it seems that Mini loves food as much as I do right now. Because, approximately 20 minutes after a meal in which I have eaten something especially yummy, I feel the strongest kicks/punches/backflips I have felt thus far in the pregnancy. This happened last night after the carbonara. And is literally happening right now this second (I just ate some blueberry/lemon bread). Have you read or seen the Twilight movie where Bella gets pregnant with a half vampire baby? And the baby, ridiculously named Renesmee-- but that's another post for another day-- is so strong that her kicks crack ribs and she basically almost pushes her way out of Bella's body. That's what Mini's kicks feel like lately when I've eaten some good tasting food.
Still worth it. Once you taste this pasta you will agree with me.

No comments: