Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Space of Her Own

We bought paint the other day. For Mini's room.
For a long time, Casey and I have loved the idea of a light gray and white room for the nursery. I like the color lavender as well. So we split the difference and are planning on doing light gray with a lavender accent wall.


The cans are sitting in front of me in the living room, next to the couch. I'm imagining what her room will look like in those lovely colors. Then I look to my right and see the ugly blue color that came along with our house in our bedroom. Ugh. I hate that color. Not to mention there are white spots, some of which I covered up with pictures, that can't just be painted over, you have to paint the whole room. Therefore the reason we have lived in aquamarine blue hell for about four years.
I sometimes notice subtle changes going on inside myself lately. Like I'd rather buy clothes for Mini than myself. Like I'm actually excited about this diaper bin we got for our baby shower. And the latest one is that I would rather work on her room than ours, and give her pretty gray and lavender walls than fix ours.
No further deep thoughts about this, I just have heard that this happens when you have a child. Some sense of unselfishness kicks in. Which honestly I'm a bit relieved to see-- before I got pregnant, I was worried I was "too selfish" to have a child. This is a common fear among women (and men) from what I know.
So when we started organizing all the baby stuff and planning the colors and buying the paint... And I wasn't super annoyed that we weren't buying stuff for us, or me... I found out I wasn't as selfish as I thought. Maybe Mini is making me a better person already.
Also another side-effect of having kids, from what I heard.

No comments: