Thursday, July 10, 2014

Magical Pregnancy Unicorn?

I really thought I'd be one of those "magical pregnancy unicorns" (quoting the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" movie) who, despite the fact I am smuggling a basketball under my clothes, does not need to alter her daily activities at all from pre-pregnancy. Watch the below video from 1:39-1:45 to get the full effect of what I'd been hoping for (although the whole trailer is pretty hilarious as a whole if you feel up to watching it).


I thought I'd be able to do my full ballet class everyday (I've heard of other professional dancers that have done it... And heard they are in class the day they deliver wearing pointe shoes) and rock it. I thought I'd at least be able to get out of bed for it.
I thought I'd be one of those people who "didn't even show till a few weeks before delivery." Ha!
I thought I'd be one of those magical creatures who could go all day, everyday, shopping and preparing, cleaning and nesting for the cutest little bundle ever to grace the earth (coming to a house near you very soon!).

Ha.

I thought I could sail through at LEAST month seven without batting an eyelash ("Oh my, what's that you say? How do I do it all, with panache, even though I'm growing a human? Oh I don't know, I guess I'm just AMAZING.").
I was wrong.
You know all the stereotypes of pregnant women? I have personally fulfilled more of these gems than I'd like to admit. Ok, fine, I'll admit to sitting on the couch and eating ice cream straight out of the container when I should be doing something else, because I simply do not have energy. I sleep for hours. Or try to (my diaphram is getting a little squished). Despite the naps, I am still exhausted. Plus then, I wake up early every morning, not because I'm awesome at it. Because that's just what my body is doing these days.
Not to mention the mental and emotional. I went into a toy store yesterday. Out of my own volition. For no reason at all other than "I think I need to buy Mini a toy." I'm pretty sure I've never had an urge to go into any toy store, at all, before this unless I was supposed to buy a toy for my nephews or a friend's kid. I really can't walk by the baby section of a store without at least just "taking a look" in case there is a clearance sale on, well, anything.
Expectations! Where do they get us? I now claim nowhere. This time of my life has been so interesting and mind boggling (especially feeling a mini human kicking around inside). But just in case there are other women out there who might be encouraged by my experience I will say it straight up-- it is also also exhausting. I am learning to accept myself where I am at right now. I am learning to let go. I am not doing well some days. But it's a process, and one that I am sure is preparing me for the one ahead God willing.
Some people tell me, "Oh I miss being pregnant! You'll see!" To which I often respond, "ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW?!?" I know I'll be grateful for this experience, someday-- much like I was grateful for all the physically exhausting rehearsal hours leading up to performing a lead role onstage. It prepared me and made it possible for me to perform well.
But someone, please, get me another pint of Cold Stone over here-- I just finished my last one. I'll be right here on the couch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. You're the best, sis =) -Jordan

erin and peter said...

I will never miss being pregnant. My kiddos are awesome, but pregnancy twice was WAY enough. Beautiful, magical experience...my ass.

Pregnancy gives me an appreciation for the words of institution. "This is my body, which was given up for you." ;-)

Love you lots, and I'm sure looking forward to meeting Mini this fall.

Erin