Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Food Olympics!

***This post was written approximately February 8th. Keep this in mind as you read. In addition, there are about 11 more posts I've written over the last two months (which I haven't posted here yet) documenting my experience. I will be posting new ones daily, so check back often if you'd like to hear the whole story up till now!
If you want to hear the story of how we found out, click here (the first blog in this series)***

As the Olympians in Sochi prepare and compete in their individual sports and receive medals for their amazing abilities, here I sit in Aurora, Colorado participating in a brand new Olympic-type competition. Between myself and my stomach. It's called the Eat Every Single Half Hour Or Feel That Amazing Nausea Olympic Games!
As any athlete, I've learned to follow a routine that works. Don't go out of the regular norm unless you are already in a good place and can afford to take a risk! Risking also includes waiting longer than a half hour to eat. Don't think it sounds that bad? Try it sometime-- it is super time consuming!
I have my "safe" foods and my "risky" foods. Some safe foods include white cheddar popcorn, applesauce (my personal favorite), eggs, oatmeal, steak, Lay's chips, and carrots. Also these awesome peanut butter granola bars I can't seem to stop eating. I have had some good days and bad days competing, but I feel I've come out on top most days!
:(

The days I've risked out of the norm foods have resulted in a bad stomach the next day. Hey, you live and learn (after you shed a tear or two that you can no longer eat a favorite food-- can you say CHICK FIL-A?!? Yes, fellow chicken lovers, weep with me! I will gladly wipe the tears from your eyes as I wipe my own).
Also, every athlete needs their gear. For my ballet career I need pointe shoes, tights, bobby pins, a foam roller. All to keep me performing at my best. My best piece of gear now in the Food Olympics?


Sea Bands. Somehow the acupressure point on the inside of my wrist is a magical place where if you push on it, the nausea stays at bay a little more than usual. So far no one has asked me why I'm wearing the sporty black bands on both of my wrists.
As any athlete knows... Life is work. If you want to achieve that golden goal, you have to put in the blood, sweat, and tears.
Or, in my case, time stuffing my face with applesauce.

8 comments:

Elizabeth Hontz said...

My old boss would moo whenever he walked by my desk since I was always "grazing" when pregnant with Liam. But he also fetched me chik-fil-a fries whenever I wanted so I guess I didn't mind too much. I'd rather eat than be nauseous. But mainly what I ate with the boys was fruit. The thought of meat was sickening and my sense of smell was out of this world. I could smell a pizza that had been in the car hours earlier. I was never so hurt when Ruben told me there was no pizza for me!

Gina said...

So sad about the pizza! I get so mad at Casey when he eats the last of something now, it's very emotional :). Interesting about what you ate. I can't handle much fruit at all- just apples. I crave meat. Interesting.

Angie Gende said...

When I was pregnant with Brendan, if I let it go too long, the only road to recovery was french fries from McDonald's. lol Instantly settled tummy. I'm sure Dave still thinks I was making it up to get fries. hahahaha

Gina said...

MMMmmmmm french fries! I'm the same way! One of my top three "never makes me sick" foods!

eliseblog said...

I've been loving on the white cheddar popcorn too! Not sure why since there really is no nutritional value - I guess it is just the salty-cheesyness that is necessary :) You probably crave the peanut bars for the protein. I have definitely been feeling the baby suck away all my nutrients so I have been trying to stay on top of getting extra. I've been eating way more burgers than I ever would in order to get more iron - baby is taking all the iron! For me the bit of nausea went away pretty early on, but as baby gets bigger the hunger pains have intensified. I'm spending all my money on food! haha. -Elise

Dmaland said...

I came here from Facebook. I affirm this post. :)

Danny

Gina said...

I feel exactly the same way. I have become a snack hoarder! You should see our kitchen counter. Piled with snacks.

Gina said...

Thanks Danny :)