Saturday, March 29, 2014

Performing for Two

***This post was written approximately February 12th. Keep this in mind as you read. In addition, there are several more posts I've written over the last three months (not posted here yet) documenting my experience. I will be posting new ones daily, so check back often if you'd like to hear the whole story up till now!
If you want to hear the story of how we found out, click here (the first blog in this series)***

Performing pregnant... How do I describe this highly unique experience... Stepping onstage with the knowledge that there is another living being living inside me has turned my whole stage experience inside out.
My entire life, almost, I've been onstage. Since my first role as a Tiny Tot in the Nutcracker as an eight year old, until my role as Clara this last year (2013) in the same ballet, I've been passionate about the lights, the giving of myself to the audience, the whole experience.
And, up until now, I would always step onstage alone.
I am currently performing in Damn Yankees with Performance Now Theatre Company, and it is a total hoot! Other than the slightly increased tiredness from being in my first trimester, it has lived up to the other musicals I've been so privileged to be a part of. I love the lively music, the heart, the enthusiasm of musical theater.There's just something that fills my heart with utter joy every moment I'm onstage when I'm part of a musical.

"Who's Got the Pain?" number in Damn Yankees (myself far left, photo by Todd Strong Photography)
Once I got past the fear that I would hurt the little human while dancing onstage, I began to realize that the moments I spend performing with a life inside me will never leave my heart. It's the knowledge that you are sharing this experience with someone else (even if that someone is the size of a grape and has no conscious knowledge of what is happening) that makes it unique. This might be the only time in my life I experience this deep sharing-- and it brings a deep joy that quite honestly took me by surprise.
I will never forget it. And God willing I can share with my child someday pictures and videos, and point to exactly where they were at the moment.

No comments: