Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Happy birthday to meeeee! And happy opening of Music Man too!

I turned old a few days ago. *offers up my face to be slapped by everyone older than me* . Yes, I had yet another birthday and 100% of people I tell of this event, do not believe me that I am my factual age. So I decided to try and figure out just how young I could get away with being... First I tried to say I turned 16 (Zaneeta, the character I play in Music Man, is that age). No dice. People just looked at me with narrowed eyes and said, "Really? Really. No." So then I replied, "Fine, fine. I'm 21." They then continued looking at me (with slightly LESS narrowed eyes) and didn't answer for a bit. The lucky ones, I told my real age. Can you guess how old I really am? Doesn't count if you've known me for more than a year.

"Ye Gods!"
Can I just say I frickin LOVE the cast of Music Man? A couple darling friends I have made in the cast knew it was my birthday and went and got me a birthday cake on the night of final dress/tech rehearsal (which just happened to land on my birthday). They had the lettering say "Ye Gods"-- Zaneeta's catch phrase. I love you, Susan and Carolyn! It was one of the yummiest cakes anyone ever got me, not to mention one of the most thoughtful. We brought it with us to a restaurant after we finished up rehearsal and had a little celebration (during which 25-ish cast members with amazing voices sang a perfectly harmonized version of "Happy Birthday" to me... I HATE being sung to, so embarassing, but I have to tell you... I didn't mind this so much because it was so beautiful!)

Susan and Gina in our "Iowa Stubborn" dresses

We opened Music Man at the Lakewood Cultural Center in Lakewood, Colorado April 29th, 2011. I was so excited to get onstage in front of a live audience with this show, because I not only get to dance my little butt off, but I have lines and get to sing as well. I play Zaneeta, the Mayor's "oldest girl" and a very twitterpated teenager secretly dating Tommy, the boy from the wrong side of the tracks. I cannot tell you how much energy it gives back to us when we hear the audience laugh or applaud at something we were hoping they'd like, and something we've been working on for so long. It is just the best, most natural high in the world.

Zaneeta and Tommy (Andrew) ready for "Marian the Librarian scene
 After "Oklahoma!" last year, I doubted that I would ever have as much fun onstage again in a musical. Luckily I was wrong! Music Man is a very fun, fast faced show that has a lot of comedy in it. Being that dancing and laughing are my two favorite things to do in the whole world, I consider myself very lucky to get to do both at the same time.

Some of the teen dancers and Marcellus in back ready for "Shipoopi"

Speaking of comedy... Some of the funniest people on the planet are in this show. Not even kidding. Below you see me with Dan (plays Charlie Cowell in this show), with whom I got to act in a melodrama last summer ("Dark Deeds at Swan's Place"). He was the villain and I was his little puppet, basically. Here we are reinacting a scene from last year's play. 

Montague Leech and Tai Pan reunited! (Here costumed as Charlie Cowell and Zaneeta Shinn)

Here I am with my "parents" Mayor Shinn and Eulalie Mackecknie Shinn :)
 I also must add, that there is so much talent on that stage! The singing is out of this world. I have learned so much by being in close proximity to such amazing performers. They make it fun to give up my weekends!

hmmmm.

Above: Me, post opening weekend at home taking out my hairdo... This is how I get my hair to stand up in that little roll around my face. A poly-fiber stuffed knee high over which I wrap my front section of hair. You can see how much I enjoy wearing it...

Casey has been such a trooper with me gone so much lately!
Casey has been a true "white knight" during this very busy time. He's been busy with work as well, but we don't get as much time together as usual with me gone so much at the theater. I am so blessed to have such a supportive guy who is happy I am happy doing what I love!!!
Come see me in Music Man, it's my biggest role yet in the musical theater arena and I can guarantee you will have a good time. Here's some info below if you would like to come. I hear tickets are selling out fast so get on it!


Show times: 
Friday May 6, 7:30 pm
Saturday May 7, 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm
Sunday May 8, 2:00 pm

Friday May 13, 7:30 pm
Saturday May 14, 2:00 pm & 7:30 pm
Sunday May 15, 2:00 pm

FOR TICKETS:
Lakewood Cultural Center
Civic Center North Building 470 S. Allison Parkway 
Lakewood, CO
www.lakewood.org/comres/page.cfm?ID=46
Box Office: 303-987-7845

Show synopsis: Con man Harold Hill poses as a boys’ band organizer and leader, sells band instruments and uniforms to naïve townsfolk before skipping town with the cash. In River City, Iowa, prim but progressive Marian the librarian sees through him, but when Hill helps her younger brother, Marian begins to fall in love with Harold. Harold, in turn falling for Marian, risks being caught to win her. Songs include "76 Trombones," "Trouble," "Goodnight My Someone," and "Wells Fargo Wagon." 

No comments: