Sunday, May 22, 2011

the end of things.

teen dancers in waltz scene after "Shipoopi"

No, I am not going to talk about the supposed "end of the world" which (shocker) didn't end up happening... I'm going to talk about the fact we closed Music Man this last weekend (May 15th)... The cast was one of the most positive and caring bunch of people I have worked with so far, the play was just plain FUN, and overall the experience was amazing and one I just wanted to go on and on. I was not ready to close the show-- I could have easily done three more weekends. 
They say all good things must come to an end, but along with these kind of endings come post show blues. You work with a group of people for sometimes months, put your hearts and souls into a show as a unit and become really close because of the mutual goals and efforts. This causes sometimes serious withdrawals (especially because the reality is you won't keep in touch with everyone you became so close with-- the cast had over 35 people!) Offstage, one of my favorite things about this experience offstage were the pre-show prayer circles we'd do before most shows. It was so neat to see even the kids come out and pray with us. Onstage I feel I really grew as an actress and singer playing Zaneeta. The choreography was just FUN, and I had a blast playing and dancing onstage with the other "teen dancers." There were so many special moments onstage with other actors that I'll never forget, and singing along with an entire cast has always been such a beautiful experience for me.

teen dancers -- "Marian the Librarian"

So how does one deal with the endings? The bittersweet realization that you'll never get to do it again with the same people, same circumstances, same experience? New projects have always been key in helping me move on, and yet I am hesitant to just "bury it" and move on so I don't have to feel any sadness at all. I've definitely done that before with other experiences and I am fooling myself if I think I can just forget it. Maybe for awhile, but that doesn't make for an emotionally healthy Gina. I believe the period of feeling the loss is important and part of the process of letting go completely. It is necessary, and an opportunity to realize how blessed I am to have these experiences and this passion. God has always provided another outlet for my love and abilities and I don't think He's going to stop now. However, knowing this doesn't make leaving these beautiful faces and people any easier...


To the MM cast: Love you all. Looking forward to working with you again.

No comments: