Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Sound of Silence: Day One of Deactivation


It's been about 11 hours since I deactivated my Facebook account. What I hear is... nothing. The sound of silence fills my head to the brim-- my head which is usually filled with the many voices of people posting about their days, activities, opinions. I have to tell you, it is strange. I have had many moments already where I think "I should post that," especially in the last half hour as I watched a few funny videos. I have had many more moments when I realize I've gotten used to the constant dull roar of the happenings in everyone else's world. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing-- but what I'm noticing is I'm hearing more of my OWN thoughts instead. And for some reason this is also strange.

How have I gotten so used to the sound of so many other people in my head?

(Read the sequel to this post: "Confessions of a Deactivated Facebooker" here: http://eslingers.blogspot.com/2012/03/confessions-of-deactivated-facebooker_29.html#comments)


No comments: