Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I walked away from THIS????


The other night after Oklahoma rehearsal, I was going through a green light, with right of way, straight through the intersection. Another driver "miscalculated" my speed and tried to turn left in front of me before I made it through the light. These pictures show what resulted from the collision.

Before anyone freaks out, I am ok. Although, judging from the pictures and what I saw immediately after frantically jumping out of my car (thinking it was on fire) I should have been really hurt. Or worse.

On impact, my car spun to a stop to the right of the road as you can see, and the airbag deployed. It started giving off this gunsmoke-smelling looking smoke. Thus, my thought that the car was on fire. After prying the drivers side door open and getting out, I realized it wasn't going to blow up. Then I looked around, feeling really dizzy, my nose throbbing, neck hurting a bit, looking like a deer in the headlights. A witness came over to me (as did the guy that I collided with) and asked if I was ok. I thought, "Do I have a concussion?" but said, "I think so." The other guy said to me, "I am so sorry, I miscalculated your speed." How's that for an admission of fault???

Then after a couple minutes of gathering my wits about me, I tried to squeeze myself back in the car to get my phone. Couldn't find it, and had to borrow the other guys phone.
All the rest of the story is pretty boring, I called Casey, they called the police, the fire department guys (who were SO comforting and calming, by the way-- loved them) came and checked my vitals and said I looked good and ok but I should go get checked out at the ER just in case. We cleaned out the car. We sat and filled out a bunch of paperwork, statements for the police, etc.

I couldn't believe how bad the car looked. We had to tow it, and we are thinking it's probably totaled. Which in actuality might be a good thing since we'll get more back on it. We're hoping for that.

I think the main point of my story is to share how strange it was to walk away from a car that looks like this. The impact felt immense and even though I was only going 40 it felt like time stood still for a split second before we collided. In that split second, as I was slamming on the breaks and turning to try to avoid a collision, I thought, "I'm going to be hurt from this.... DANG and it's show week of all weeks!!!" After I regained focus after the car stopped, I couldn't believe that I wasn't more badly hurt. The main issue now, a couple days later, is my neck (it's sore) and my nose is pretty sore as well. I guess God has more plans for me here, and that I am not done with the things He wants me to do. That is a humbling and awe-inspiring thing, to know it could have turned out so differently. If I had been in another lane, or if I had left rehearsal a few seconds earlier or later... Who knows. But I know one thing, that it was nothing I did to keep myself safe. It was just not my time to leave yet. And, although it would also be great to go be with God, for that I am glad.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm so glad you are okay! It was certainly not your time to go. I hope everything works out with the insurance and you get lots back! :)

Stephanie said...

I have walked away from five cars that have looked like tha t (the passenger in all but one) and that split second lasts an hour and it is unbelievably traumatizing! I'm so glad you are okay!

Toni Renee' said...

I'm glad God decided to keep you around for a while longer!