Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mardi Gras Ball Dance Showcase Photos

A couple weeks ago I was privileged to go home to California and dance at a Mardi-Gras Ball Dance Showcase. The majority of the performers were ballroom and swing dancers, but I performed a contemporary ballet piece. It was one of the most encouraging experiences-- ballroom dance audiences tend to clap whenever they like something (which is often), even whoop and holler at things they think are good. Typical ballet audiences can be shy of clapping for what they like and only clap at the end. For me, getting applause for things (and the amazing compliments I recieved afterward) was surprising and encouraging in the best way.
In my heart I dedicated this performance to my grandfather who recently passed away. It was a very powerful night for me for all these reasons.

1 comment:

Toni Renee' said...

Actually it looks like it's pages 5-6, and 20-21 (on my computer anyway).
What a cute pic of you and your Mama! I'm glad that was such a good experience for you.