Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day, Doing Nothing, and Miracles

Today Casey and I looked up Labor Day on our modern-day online dictionary/encyclopedia, Wikipedia. The beginnings of this holiday seem to be rooted in a workers union. Something about a nine hour work day... And parades. Lots of parades. With people giving speeches at these afore-mentioned parades.

These days, seems like the title Labor Day brings to mind other words: Camping. Hiking. Barbeque. Well at least that's what it brings to my mind. How about you?

I didn't do any of those things today. What did I do, you ask? Well, I would be glad to enlighten you.

Nothing.

Well, not exactly nothing... I woke up and did nothing for awhile. Have you ever been depressed by doing nothing on a pretty day? I was, today. So I got dressed (not well, however, but that's beside the point) and I went to Target. That place is amazing. I found some treasures and came home. But I still felt a little bit down, unsatisfied, for some reason. Then, I did something else. I listened to a lecture on the miracles of Jesus for a bible study that day. A few friends and I listen to one lecture a week separately, and then get together at a coffee shop once a week to talk about what we liked/didn't like/thought about it. Yeah, it pretty much rocks.

So, that's what I did. I went to meet my friends at the coffee shop and talked about Jesus and His miracles. It's funny, Jesus has a way of slipping into any of my bored/depressed moods and splicing it up with delight and wonder. Reminding me again that He is pretty amazing and that He is part of my life, part of me. I may be feeling a little/a lot blue-- but He has a way of wrapping His arm around my shoulder and squeezing it, and somehow I feel lifted, inspired. And yet, also smooshed against His side, secure. That's a good feeling.

No comments: