Thursday, July 19, 2012

Why I Don't Want to Be Pregnant

If you've known me for a little while, you probably have already heard all this straight from the horse's mouth. My mouth, I mean. No. I'm not a horse.

I am 34 years old though, and many people are surprised to hear this (one, because I look young; and two, because I do not have children yet). And here is part of the reason why:

As long as I can remember, I have had major stomach issues. All the time. When I get nervous, when I eat certain foods, at certain times of the month, etc etc. (Don't worry, male contingent, that is my last reference to my monthly visitor.) Since a very young age, it seems my stomach needs no more than a fraction of a reason or hint of circumstance to freak out on me. And when this happens, it often shuts me down or at the very least makes everyday life uncomfortable.

So, now that I am more than at the "child bearing" age, I will admit the issue is occasionally on my mind. I do want children. I really like the little humans, really. I always have. And once I feel it is time, I would very much like to have one of my own.

Here's the problem: Nausea. And MORE stomach issues.

Because I've dealt with this along with other things for at least 30 years on a continuing basis, the thought of it getting worse or visiting on a more constant basis is unbearable. I know, I know, I sound like a total baby (no pun intended). I know what you're going to ask me, and the answer is YES, my mother was nauseous with all three of her children including me.


Which no, does not mean I necessarily will have the same experience, but probably. Think about it this way: If you have had pain issues haunting you your whole life without rest, the thought of it getting much worse continually for 9 months would not be not such a happy one. Or if you had major eyesight issues, and you were told you'd basically be blind for the 9 months you were pregnant, you'd be a little hesitant too, wouldn't you? The thought of constant nausea makes me want to jump off the edge of the planet.

I know what else you're going to say: "It's worth it." Or, "When you hold that little baby in your arms, you forget everything else." Miracle of life, blah blah blah... I know, I know. A friend recently told me, "They have medicine for that." I said, "Oh really? Cool!" She then continued: "Yeah, with the medicine I only threw up once a day." Sounds... amazing?

I'm not saying Casey and I have totally made up our minds. We probably will have a child of our own, God willing (just not looking forward to the additional stomach issues). And, yes, adoption is a viable option also (which we are seriously considering even if we have our own). Just speaking my mind here. I haven't blogged in a while and it's been fun to get back here and spit my thoughts out at you (again, no pun intended).

Thoughts of your own?

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I don't know if it will help you, but I only got seriously nauseaous with Emma. I was sick for the last 6 of the first 12 weeks (week 6-12), and threw up fairly often, but after that I was fine. Most women only have a short time of nausea.

Also, for your tummy issues, I would highly recommend that you get tested for a bunch of allergens, if you haven't already. We just ordered a testing kit from this company: http://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/TestInfo.aspx. It is a little spendy, but I have heard really good reviews.

thatguycliff's blog said...

I have several friends that have adopted and love it. If you guys want to adopt me then let me know.

PS. If you do then I need a ride to school next month.

Anonymous said...

You guys have to decided what is best for you. Let no one tell you how things should go with kids and you. Its between you, casey and God.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Gina, for sharing your thought. =) It's always fun to "catch up" with you by reading your blog, so thanks for posting. Sorry that many times I read it via my phone so can't comment. But here I am! - ae