Thursday, July 2, 2009

Nostalgic.

The other night I dreamed I was back in Italy, walking around "il mercato" (the market) downtown Florence. In this dream I found myself back at "Il Duomo," which is pictured above, and is nearby the apartment I lived in for almost two years. In my dream, I started crying because I had missed it so much.
It has been about seven years since I left Florence. Unfortunately I have never had the money to go back and visit all the dear friends I made there, who are still lodged permanently in my heart. Today I am feeling really nostalgic for this beautiful city, for it's unique and warm people, and the excitement each day held there as a person waiting on God to move in the hearts of the people we met. Looking back at the person I was back then, I can clearly see all that God has brought me through and how that has made me who I am today. I am different now, in so many ways, because of Florence. I wouldn't change a thing, although it was one of the hardest and most trying times emotionally I have ever had in my life. Florence will always have a special place in my soul, because it is the place God broke my heart wide open and then began His process of (after I left, and is still now), slowly yet gently healing me.

2 comments:

Andrea Rooks said...

Ah, Florence. Just the other day, Bret and I were looking through photos of our trip to visit you in that majestic city. I got all nostalgic, too. I'm so glad we went when we did and I'm so thankful to you, our translator and tour guide (and so much more)... Maybe we can all go back together some time :)

Rebecca V said...

Gina, I have really been missing Italy lately too. Maybe it has to do with some many people we knew there going back in recent years. Who knows. But it has only been 5 years since we left right? We were there from 2002-2004 if I remember correctly. It doesn't matter though because it's still been too long!! I hope you get to go for a visit soon.